Mission Projects of the Staten Island Moravian Churches
Moravian Community Dinners – Hosted by Vanderbilt Avenue Moravian Church
The third Saturday of every month, a free community dinner is served from 4:00 to 6:30 p.m. at Vanderbilt Avenue Moravian Church. In addition to sharing a meal together, all those who come to eat can choose a book or two to take home from a library of donated books. Members of all four Moravian churches participate in cooking, serving, and eating together in community with our visitors. For more information, contact Vanderbilt Avenue Moravian Church, +1 (718) 447-2966.
Staten Island Moravian Community Garden – Hosted by Castleton Hill Moravian Church
Located on the grounds at Castleton Hill Moravian Church, the SI Moravian Community Garden has 39 garden plots and is handicap accessible. The garden provides space for volunteers to grow their own food to take home and also provides space to grow herbs and vegetables for Project Hospitality’s soup kitchen and food pantry. For more information, contact Castleton Hill Moravian Church, +1 (718) 442-5215.
Clothing Distribution – Hosted by New Dorp Moravian Church
We collect clean, gently used clothing during March, April and early May. In May we sort, and box up the clothing until August when we hold a public clothing distribution at Brighton Heights Reformed Church. For more information, contact New Dorp Moravian Church, +1 (718) 351-0090.
Prayer Shawls – Hosted by Great Kills Moravian Church
Members of our prayer shawl ministry knit and crochet prayer shawls for persons going through times of sickness, crisis and transition. To date, more than 200 prayer shawls have been lovingly made and distributed. For more information about helping to make shawls or about receiving a shawl, contact Great Kills Moravian Church, +1 (718) 317-7788.
Thanksgiving Baskets – Hosted by New Dorp Moravian Church
Our churches collect non-perishable food items all through the fall. We use these contribution to fill around 90 baskets which are given out to families in need during the Thanksgiving holiday. For more information, contact New Dorp Moravian Church, +1 (718) 351-0090.
Camp Hope is a youth camp ministry of the Moravian Church–Eastern District–located in Hope NJ, approximately 90 minutes from New York City. Accommodations include 4-season cabins, which are heated for year-round use, and additional, more rustic cabins. Summer camp meals are served in the Dining Hall at lake side. The kitchen in the Upper Lodge is available for groups all year. The covered pavilion seats 200. Recreation facilities include a sand volleyball court, canoeing, boating, swimming, basketball and hiking trails. Several Pocono ski resorts and New Jersey State Parks are within 20 minutes of Hope. Group retreats can be arranged during the week or weekends from mid-August to mid-June. The Center accommodates up to 96 people in the winter months and 150 in the warm seasons. Meeting rooms are available. Visit them online: Click here
Moravian Open Door
Moravian Open Door is a not-for-profit (501c-3) organization committed to providing transitional housing and supportive services to the homeless, distressed and underserved population of New York City. Our ministry serves those individuals who are fifty and older with the goal of helping them regain their independence and security, and assisting them in moving to appropriate, permanent facilities. Moravian Open Door is funded solely by church and private donations and a nominal monthly program fee. We do not receive any city or federal funding. Moravian Open Door is located at: 347 East 18th Street, New York, NY 10003 Visit them online: Click here
Related Organizations & Services
Project Hospitality, a private not-for-profit organization based in Staten Island, New York, provides comprehensive services for hungry and homeless and inadequately housed people, especially those who are living with multiple diagnoses such as HIV, substance use, and/or mental illness. As the only comprehensive homeless service provider in the borough of Staten Island, Project Hospitality serves more than 5,000 Staten Island residents each year. Visit them online: Click here
Since 1978, Safe Horizon has provided victims of domestic violence, child abuse, human trafficking, rape and sexual assault, as well as homeless youth and families of homicide victims, with a wide range of comprehensive support. Our programs also partner with governmental and other community agencies so we can offer additional assistance, including finding resources for those living outside New York City. Visit them online: Click here
Alcoholics Anonymous® (AA) is a fellowship of people who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.
AA Meetings at Staten Island Moravian Churches:
Castleton Hill Moravian Church 1657 Victory Blvd., Staten Island, NY 10314 (718) 442-5215
- Mondays, 1 PM in the Fellowship Hall
New Dorp Moravian Church 2205 Richmond Road, Staten Island, NY 10306 (718) 351-0090
Gamblers Anonymous is a fellowship of people who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from a gambling problem. Gamblers Anonymous Meetings at Staten Island Moravian Churches: Great Kills Moravian Church 62 Hillside Terrace, Staten Island, NY 10308 (718) 317-7788
- Mondays, 8 PM
Visit them online: Click here
University Hospice (of Staten Island University Hospital)
University Hospice is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to meet the needs of terminally ill patients, their families and loved ones, by providing comprehensive palliative (comfort) care focusing on physical, social, emotional and spiritual support. Hospice care is delivered in the home, nursing facility, and the in-patient setting. University Hospice serves Staten Island, Brooklyn and Queens. 256 Mason Avenue, Staten Island, NY 10305 (718) 226-6450 Visit them online: Click here
YMCA Of Greater NY: Staten Island YMCA Counseling Service
The YMCA Counseling Service is a substance abuse prevention and treatment program for adolescents and adults living in Staten Island. Their state licensed outpatient program includes treatment services for adults and older teens, prevention services for at-risk youth, and counseling services for children who have been affected by a parent’s addiction. North Shore Center 285 Vanderbilt Avenue, Staten Island, NY 10304 (718) 981- 4382 South Shore Center / Administrative Office 3911 Richmond Avenue, Staten Island, NY 10312 (718) 948-3232 Visit them online: Click here
Food Pantries on Staten Island
• All Saints Church Episcopal Ministry (718) 698-1338 2329 Victory Boulevard, Willowbrook 10314
• Catholic Charities – CYO Center (718) 447-6330 120 Anderson Avenue, Port Richmond 10302
• Christian Pentecostal Church (718) 273-5850 900 Richmond Road, Emerson Hill 10304
• Community Health Action (718) 981-3366 166 Port Richmond Avenue, Port Richmond 10302
• Council of Jewish Organizations of Staten Island (718) 720-4047 984 Post Avenue, Port Richmond 10302
• First United Christian Church (718) 981-4828 109 Victory Blvd, Tompkinsville 10301
• Good Counsel Homes (718) 727-8266 38 Wiman Place, Clifton/Rosebank 10305
• Majestic Praise Tabernacle (718) 447-8397 43 Brighton Avenue, New Brighton 10301
• Mesivtha of Staten Island (718) 356-5412 1870 Drumgoole Road East, Bloomingdale 10309
• New Direction Services (718) 880-8773 1027 Post Avenue, Port Richmond 10302
• Our Lady of Good Counsel Church Our Lady of Good Counsel Church (718) 447-150410 Austin Place, Tompkinsville 10304
• Project Hospitality (Soup Kitchen) (718) 815-0800 514 Bay Street • Stapleton 10304 Richmond Senior Services (718) 816-1811 729 Delafield Ave., West Brighton 10310
• St. Edward Food Pantry (718) 984-1625 6581 Hylan Blvd (at Mt. Loretto), Pleasant Plains 10309
• St. Paul Church Food Pantry (347) 452-3398 225 Paul’s Avenue, Stapleton 10304
• St. Teresa of The Infant Jesus and St. Nicholas Chape l(718) 442-5412 1634 Victory Boulevard, Castleton Corners 10314
• Salvation Army of Staten Island (718) 448-8480 15 Broad Street, Stapleton 10304
• Salvation Army of Staten Island (718) 442-2145 1295 Forest Avenue, Port Richmond 10302
• Stapleton UAME Church (718) 273-2857 49 Tompkins Avenue, Stapleton, 10304
• Trinity Lutheran Church (718) 447-0526 309 St. Paul’s Avenue, Tompkinsville 10304